You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:00 pm 

Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:28 pm
Posts: 1

It is very interesting to read all of your forums regarding Sulfa Drugs, Sulfites and the Epipen.
I have know about my allergy to sulfites for at about 15 years now. I figured it out myself according to what I ate and what the common denominator was. Some of my favorite foods, I can no longer eat. I asked my doctor a few years ago what I should avoid, she said shelfish and sulphite derivatives. People with Asthma are more prone to sulphite allergies. I have even had a reaction to artichokes from Sam's club. If I am not sure of something I certainly don't take the chance.
My mom informed me I have been allergic to sulfa drugs since I was very young. I am also allergic to sulfa drugs.
I had a severe reaction to shellfish last x-mas when I was just standing at the fish counter in the supemarket when my family was buying crab legs. I never really was drawn to shellfish so I never was really exposed to it. I thought that was going to be my first hospital visit for food allergies, VERY SCARY! When they were cooking I could not be in the room either. Four hours later, I came out to eat with everyone and I still felt strange (lightheaded). I emailed my doctor and she informed me this was most likely a cross reaction due to my sulfa drug allergy. I now carry an epipen, which my doctor says I will be fine with should I ever need to use it. The benefit of the epipen outways the sulfites. I had a lot of epinephrine shots as a young child from allergy shot reactions with no problem. I have my dentist give novacaine instead of the modern anesthesia. I have also had reactions to SODIUM BICARBONATE or AMMONIUM CHLORIDE that were in pretzels I had always been able to eat. I was informed several years ago that each time we are exposed to the same item that we have had a reaction to it can get worse each time. I would just caution each and every one of you to read every label now, just because it wasn't in there before does not mean it can't be in the future. I am now unofficially a Medic Alert Advocate, I hound people until they get one. It may save their life one day. Especially with sulphites, we don't always know we have ingested it. Sorry to be so long winded, I have never posted like this to a forum so I had a lot to say.

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:50 pm 

Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:04 pm
Posts: 2044
Location: Gatineau, Quebec
Hi javpups - and welcome to the forum!


Karen, proud Mom of
- DS1 (12 yrs): allergic to cashews, pistachios, Brazil nuts, potatoes, some legumes, some fish, pumpkin seeds; OAS
- DS2 (1o yrs): ana. to dairy, eggs, peanuts; asthma

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group