You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:51 am 
Site Admin

How's it going with allergy-anaphylaxis readiness at your child's school this year? Everyone getting their plans in place with the school?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:58 pm 

I have quite a bit of anxiety about it (as usual). My kids have always come home for lunch, it's quite rushed but I've felt better about it. This year they are switching from a mass lunch in the gym to eating in the classrooms. I think it will be a more controlled setting, though supervision (teacher or other) is still TBD, and so I will go and be a volunteer lunch monitor for the forseeable future.

My epipens and safe snacks have been delivered to the classrooms, i've met with the new VP & P.

I was wondering if everyone has to fill out annual anaphylaxis forms, I might start a spin off thread. Sept is chaotic, and while I want to do everything possible to keep my kids safe, it seems that having 6 forms (2 x 3 kids) signed my our Dr for the SAME thing year after year (peanut allergy/epipen) shouldn't be required?

The school says that they are legal documents and therefore must be renewed every year. There is no expiry date on the form, and i thought the definition of a legal document was that it is permanent unless another takes it's place? I don't know anyone else IRL who gets new forms every year.

I am probably getting worked up over nothing. :/

(also, i got an email asking about safe candy, a one of the teachers wants to give out little bags on the first day, while I appreciate the email I just want that stuff to stop altogether, but maybe that's not realistic)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:06 am 

Although this thought is unrelated to allergies, I agree with you about wanting the candy hand-out to stop. In this day and age of obese and overweight children being such a concern, why does society insist on handing out treats all the time!! School, soccer games, etc. Our kids are so used to having crap all the time, that they no longer are content with fruit as a snack.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:49 pm 

I *wish* the kids were going back to school. Here in BC we're in the middle of strike. Two sides are apparently far apart, and who knows when they will settle. Sigh.

I had the public health nurse set up to do anaphylaxis training tomorrow but I'll have to re-book him once we know when classes will be back in session.

Becky, the form we use has a box to check off for 'physician signature on file' so if it's the same as last year, I just check that off. It's this one from AC http://www.anaphylaxis.ca/files/anaphyl ... 20full.pdf

We sometimes use that, and other times us the one from Vancouver Coastal Health. Our school doesn't seem to have their own forms.

For everyone else, hope the first week is going well!