Talking Allergies
http://talkingallergies.allergicliving.com/

SCUBA dive with shellfish allergies?
http://talkingallergies.allergicliving.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2378
Page 1 of 1

Author:  NoSea4Me [ Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:26 pm ]
Post subject:  SCUBA dive with shellfish allergies?

I may get laughed off the board, but I have just been diagnosed with a severe allergy to shellfish - (2 days in hospital after attack - ouch), and I am curious as to whether I can ever go scuba diving again. Am I insane? Do people do this? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Author:  KarenOASG [ Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:02 pm ]
Post subject: 

My first thought was "Hmmm... that's a good question." Most people have to eat the allergen to react, but seafood seems to be a bit trickier with more people than usual reacting to touch and to smell.

This might be a good question for the Ask the Allergist column - which can be read online at http://www.allergicliving.com/columns.asp?copy_id=73 . This is how you can send your question:

Quote:
Ask the Allergists is a regular feature of Allergic Living magazine. If you would like to submit a question, write to editor@allergicliving.com . Please write "Ask the Allergists" in the subject field, keep your question brief and include an e-mail and daytime phone number.


From someone who has NO experience scuba diving, here are some thoughts/questions: When you scuba dive are you covered by a wetsuit? That should take care of most of the risk of skin contact, right? And since you are breathing using the breathing apparatus, that should take care of the breathing in seafood particles, right? So maybe it would be okay....

Sorry about the allergy, by the way!!

K.

Author:  Triliam [ Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

Hello,

I'd be interested to hear more about that. We have wondered about similar things with our sons allergies.

At first I thought that it could be possible to allow him to fish off the dock at the cottage with the other kids as long as he doesn't touch the fish. Then I heard the story of a fish allergic man who got the hook in his arm or belly or somewhere, went into shock, didn't have his epi and died. So I'm rethinking that one.

We've been to aquariums but make sure he touches nothing but we do not bring him into those fish stores. There's water all over the floor and I can't be sure that we can clean off his shoes before going home and getting protein off before he comes into contact with it. I'm not sure if that's excessive, but we've chosen to err on the side of safety for now. I guess as he gets older things change.

Denise

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 4 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/