You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:25 pm 

Sigh

I was hopeful that Jelly Belly would be a safe treat to add to the family list - especially as they list PEANUT FREE so happily

Was disheartened first be the annoyed tone from the customer service representative who handled my call but further to know that they have prioritised allergens on the site which also share packaging lines but they don't label for potential risk

The good point - even if the person was having a not too friendly day, she was well informed and very direct about the allergens

For those who might be interested, they do have soy, dairy and treenuts (specifically Almond, Cashew, Pecan and Walnuts) on site and products share packaging lines

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:06 pm 

Oh wow! It's a good thing you called and thank you for informing all of us. I have not purchased these in the past, and that's only because we already have our "list" of "go to" items, and our son is satisfied with that, so I don't venture too far from our tried and true choices, but it is always good to share so that the rest of us can learn.

16 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, egg, fish, sesame,sunflower,mustard,poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid legumes(except soy & green beans),pollen, cats, horses, cold urticaria

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:52 pm 

Thanks Julie
I found it especially high to be potentially misleading as so many people assume that PEANUT FREE is = TREENUT FREE
And by choosing to put a "free" label but not may-contain is a tricky nuance!
One day consistent labelling would be nice but in the mean time, I love the internet and having access to the phone numbers so I can ask the questions for our own decision making :)

Luckily it doesn't feel like a "loss" to the kids - OK except for the cool StarWars packaging as they do have other much-loved jelly beans

In case anyone is interested, the candies from Surf Sweet have also passed the approval of non-allergic friends:

Jelly Beans:
http://www.surfsweets.com/our-candy/jelly-beans/

Home Page for their candy site:
http://www.surfsweets.com/

Link to their Allergen FAQ (love companies that do this!):
http://www.surfsweets.com/allergen-corner/

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:16 am 
Site Admin

Thanks much, Renie.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:15 am 
Site Admin

:(
I was hoping that these would be safe.
Gimbal's Jelly Beans are great for labelling there allergen info.
They just aren't easy to find in Canada.
http://www.gimbalscandy.com/allergen-free.html

Me: Oral Allergy Syndrome, Allergic to Birch trees

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:45 pm 

Sorry Susan
Me too
And with the peanut free on it, it would make me think younger kids might assume it is OK.... still an opportunity to reinforce the message to read the label EVERY time (ok, 3 times every time - when you buy, when you shelf and when you grab it to munch) and to know what labels mean (and that 'may contain' isn't actually a requirement)
Anyway - we can rejoice that there are other yummy alternatives - maybe we as a community can support the alternatives in droves (or advocate for good licensing deals!) so that they are not only yummy but sustainable and appealing to non-FA families :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:20 pm 

Good to know. My relatives still think peanut-free = tree nut-free and get upset when I decline to eat whatever item it may be. It can be confusing, but a good reminder for everyone to make sure.

Surf Sweets makes jelly beans and we can find them at the local health food store. Another option for people with allergies looking for a safe alternative.