You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:23 pm 
Site Admin

Earlier this week, I got a call from the VP saying that in the last period of Wednesday's classes, the grade 7's & 8's would play bingo using popcorn as place holders and that about 10 candy canes would be used as prizes. He wasn't sure if the candy canes had been purchased yet. :banghead
I told him which brands were safe and which were not and again he said he wasn't sure if she'd bought them yet but he would pass the info along. I said that I would let my daughter know that this was going to happen and that I'd give her a safe candy cane when she got home. Since not everyone was getting one, I thought this would be enough.
Wednesday was a snow day, I never heard more.
Thursday, one teacher handed out 2 cupcakes (that's all he had on hand) and to the rest of the students, he gave a single pretzel. Not a big pretzel but a small one...lame! :roll:
Today was the last day of school and when we went to pick up our daughter, she was annoyed and told us that every class except for gym, had a celebration that involved some sort of treat! :frightened Not only this but at the end of the day for the last 1 1/2 hours all of the grade 7's & 8's were in the cafeteria playing Bingo using lentils as place markers and they had about 10-15 games where the winners got candy canes.
My daughter is ana to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts and peas/beans/LENTILS! :frightened :verymad (and penicillin)
She told us in the parking lot and I marched back into the school and had a meeting with the VP who called earlier in the week.
He had no idea but he will be looking into this.
I told him that I am thinking that I will not be sending my daughter to school on the last day prior to March Break, the end of the school year and Christmas ever again because of this! I told him that I was disappointed that she had to tolerate so much in one day and why was he not aware of it? This is unacceptable! I mentioned to him that it wasn't popcorn place markers as he had informed me but it was lentils. He said he was aware that it was lentils and he knew I would be in touch with him. I asked him if the teachers even knew of her allergies because that was insulting!
Sorry I'm so long winded!
I need to remind myself that it's not that they mean to exclude her, they are just ignorant. It takes a long time to get it of you aren't living with allergies 24/7. It will get better, but it takes a LONG time for them to get it.
I will follow up with an e-mail to the VP just before school starts back up as I know all the details now and he promised to follow up. I am glad that I spoke up when I did so that I am not carrying all of the anger and resentment into our holidays.
Things WILL change! :swing

Me: Oral Allergy Syndrome, Allergic to Birch trees

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:17 pm 

That is completely unacceptable! I'm so glad your daughter is old enough to realise that she could not take part in these events. I agree with you... these "last day" events before a break are very stressful and it is completely unnecessary to include food in the festivities. In your daughter's case, arrangements had been made, and there was no follow-through. We have encountered this numerous times as well... in actuality, it ALWAYS happens! Crazy! I am very unhappy when I get a call, the "day of", at noon, that a teacher is going to be serving chips that day, and are they okay for my son. What?? Or the ice cream sandwiches from Costco are served... with no prior notice to me! Why does this keep happening?? Just today I cautioned my son to "be safe" (you can read in my post that he had a reaction today! He required the Allerject, ambulance and ER.) With older children, they have the maturity to say "No thank you", but still, WHY is this still happening?? It still happens with my daughter in her high school... she's in grade 10 now... I'm amazed how many food activities still exist in school. Susan, you definitely have my sympathy. Somehow, in time, I hope all schools change their policy with regards to food events within the school.

16 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, egg, fish, sesame,sunflower,mustard,poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid legumes(except soy & green beans),pollen, cats, horses, cold urticaria

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:07 am 
Site Admin

With legislation in effect since 2006, people often look at Ontario as the province that "gets it".

Much work is still needed.

I will be VERY vocal in the new year.

THIS HAS GOT TO CHANGE!
:verymad

Me: Oral Allergy Syndrome, Allergic to Birch trees

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:09 pm 

OMG!!! :frightened

I am still amazed by the amount food used in schools too, for so many reasons in addition to allergies. Ridiculous.

I'm just happy your daughter remained safe with all that going on. I wouldn't be sending her to school on 'last days' either unless there is significant change. Being put at risk is not worth it. Ever. I hope your VP will learn something from this and make some changes.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:19 pm 

That's terrible!! Mine was not nearly as bad but still had room for improvement. Food parties in all classes, some pooled among grades. Letters were sent home reminding people to send 'peanut free' snacks, but of course that has a different meaning to everyone.

I stayed at the school as a 'helper' (ie watchdog),but I find it stressful, and tiring. I sent large assortments of sweets and other from home for my kids. I don't want my kids to feel excluded, but it would honestly be easier if they stayed home for xmas, valentines, halloween etc parties.