You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:45 pm 

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:22 am
Posts: 52
Location: Cayman Islands
So proud of my brave boy today! My 7 year-old son who has often been very shy and self-conscious about his numerous food and environmental allergies was brave enough to tell his teacher not to spray Febreeze in the classroom! When she started spraying, he pulled her aside and (in French nonetheless) told her that he is allergic to perfume and was irritated by it. She immediately stopped and they went to the washroom to splash his hands and face with cold water. She reported it to the office who called us to confirm the perfume allergy and let us know that it will not be used in the classroom any more.

Oddly, we never thought to alert the school to his scent sensitivities because the food allergies are so severe, that they just overshadow the 'relatively' minor reactions to dust, pets and perfumes. Although relatively minor compared to food allergies means that he is not anaphylactic to perfumes, but does experience almost immediate sneezing, massive mucous and tearing eyes (not pleasant). Our home is completely scent-free (I am also sensitive), so it never occurred to me that the school might spray something like Febreeze while the kids were actually in the classroom.

This is a big milestone for him and boy did we praise him for being brave enough to speak up! :D

Son 11 yrs: Anaphylactic to eggs, milk, fish, shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts and allergic to soy, animals & environmental + Asthma.
Daughter 13 yrs: No allergies!
Me: Allergic to animals & environmental.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:15 am 

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:37 am
Posts: 1526
Location: Alberta
:thumbsup That is a very big deal! Yeah!! So glad he got a good response from his teacher. Funny, I just found this poking around. I will post it in the resource thread I think....but :banana :happydance and :huggy for you and yours! and in french to boot 8)

Myself - Seasonal, cats
dd-asthma (trigger - flu) anaphylactic to eggs, severe allergies to bugspray and penicilin,pulmicort
ds-Seasonal, cats and OAS
dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:02 am 

Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:40 pm
Posts: 2034
Location: ottawa
Fiona. :swing :happydance :banana THAT IS WONDERFUL! I can only imagine how difficult it is for a child to confront an authority figure, even if that teacher etc. is kind and approachable. I really think the teacher acted wonderfully in this situation, not just helping him wash off but in contacting you. :thumbsup

Your son did a great job and should be very proud of himself, learning to self advocate in such a calm, direct manner also shows what a wonderful job you've done as allergy parents. :huggy I'm sure he will feel even more confident the next time he needs to speak up not as he has now had practice and the outcome was positive.
Tell him he is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

...and laughing, I did the same, I was so focused on our sons ana allergies I hardly mentioned some of his env. allergies which also cause some symptoms. They came to me after and were like, um, did you want to quickly go over these (after I talked for 2 hours about the others). :lol:

DD 12 yrs -no allergies
4 yr old DS - asthma/eczema Anaphylactic to Peanuts, all tree nuts, sesame , all pea/lentil legumes, gelatin.
Allergic to trees, grass,ragweed, feathers, dander, mold and dust.
Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:00 am 

Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:20 pm
Posts: 150
Location: Barrie Ontario Canada
:huggy to you and your son. I'm so happy he was able to confront his teacher. Also :thumbsup to the teacher for reacting the way she did and confirming this with you. I know many people who do not understand or believe people can be allergic to scents. Just this summer I had a coworker refuse to stop spraying scented products around our room after telling her many times I was allergic.
This is one thing I would want a child to call me on when I am teaching. As a supply teacher I am often going into situations and not knowing the allergies/medical conditions of the students unless I seek out the info. The classroom I was in yesterday had a scensey (an electric scented candle system with no flame) I wasn't surprised to see it since many teachers have some scented thing in their class. But the kicker is this school is scent free! Maybe she only turns it on when the children are not there but I still think it shouldn't be in there.

Outgrew: Wheat, corn, egg, chicken, to name a few
Sensitive to Milk/Dairy products
Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:23 am 
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:17 pm
Posts: 6616
Location: Ottawa
Wow! What a smart, brave boy! I'm so happy that the teacher and the school dealt quickly and positively on this. He will remember this in the future. :thumbsup :happydance

Daughter: asthma, allergies to egg, milk, peanuts, tree nuts, most legumes (not soy and green beans) & penicillin. Developing hayfever type allergies.
Husband: no allergies
Me: Oral Allergy Syndrome, Allergic to Birch trees

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group