It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: EpiPen Shortage
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:04 pm 

Canada, 0.3mg dose only

https://www.facebook.com/EpiPenCanada/p ... 6346113779

Quote:
Pfizer Canada Statement: EpiPen® Auto-Injector (0.3 mg) Supply Interruption
As a result of a supply interruption, Pfizer is experiencing a supply shortage of EpiPen auto-injectors in the 0.3 mg format in January 2018. EpiPen is a medically necessary product with currently no alternatives on the market in Canada. At this time, there is limited supply of auto-injectors at wholesalers, distributors and at pharmacies. While we are working closely with our distributors to avoid long-term supply shortage at the store level, we expect a period of between two and four weeks of no inventory. Additional limited inventory will be supplied at the beginning of February 2018 which will be placed under allocation and we will continue to manage supply carefully.
Pfizer has advised and is working with Health Canada on this situation and we are exploring remediation plans to address this situation.
We understand and regret the challenges this shortage poses to patients. Ensuring continuity of the supply of our medicines is paramount, and this temporary supply interruption does not indicate an impact on the quality, safety or efficacy of EpiPen auto-injectors currently available on the Canadian market. Pfizer fully realizes the importance of this medicine to our customers and patients, and has taken action to minimize the duration of the supply interruption, including efforts to expedite delivery of available supply.

I wonder if this has any relation to the shortage in Australia a month or two ago -- though I think theirs was the Jr. dose.

Post subject: Re: EpiPen Shortage
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:44 pm 

I don't know why Canadian pharmacies refuse to consider dispensing into vials (or a bottle with sterile syringes). I realize it is less than ideal with regards to carrying it around, but as a parent I would be happy to have epipens for the kids to carry, and our back up supply to be bottled.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:18 pm 

I would never be able to draw a syringe for myself in an emergency. I am often not thinking straight and shaking so much from shock that I can barely use my EpiPen or even a phone to call for help. However, the Allergic Living article on this topic includes a teaser of a new epinephrine auto injector approved for distribution in Canada by Taro Pharmaceuticals:

https://www.allergicliving.com/2018/01/ ... d-to-know/

I still mourn the Allerject recall.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:15 pm 

spacecanada, We also mourn the loss of the Allerject. It is the one and only device our son actually used when he self-injected when having a reaction at school 3 years ago. His teachers also really liked it because it "spoke" to you. I hope, one day, we will see it's return.

16 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, egg, fish, sesame,sunflower,mustard,poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid legumes(except soy & green beans),pollen, cats, horses, cold urticaria

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:39 pm 

@Julie - we are with you on allerject.... while my daughter wasn't open to it, I know people around felt much more comfortable with it over the epipen or twinject (which we also miss - we didn't have qualms about the second one being syringe format and much preferred the smaller size. like really, does epipen HAVE to be so big?)

On the shortage according to our pharmacist, the situation has been exacerbated by the OHIP coverage expansion for meds for children. On the one hand, I am grateful that life-saving medications especially don't have to be a burden (I can't imagine picking whether to live with expired epis, to go without in order to pay for heat or food) but I am intrigued to hear (from multiple pharmacists) that (perceived?) hoarding and excessive demand is making access a problem

I'd rather that epis be like defibrillators - available in public spaces

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:13 pm 

Why would people think there is a hoarding problem?

And I completely agree about the excessive size of EpiPens. They used to be smaller, and other autoinjectors around the world are smaller... :roll:

Last I heard, the shortage is now expected to extend through March. I guess I had better switch some EpiPens around in my carry cases if I don't get fresh ones to replace the ones expirin in March. (I have two expiring in March and two in December.)