* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:14 pm 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-12/l ... ld/9249256

How heartbreaking.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:26 pm 

This is absolutely devastating.

16 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, egg, fish, sesame,sunflower,mustard,poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid legumes(except soy & green beans),pollen, cats, horses, cold urticaria

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:40 pm 

It is heartbreaking

My daughter has been hospitalised several times for issues other than anaphylaxis at two excellent hospitals in Toronto (a Group A teaching hospital and a Group B large hospital)

She had an anaphylactic reaction to one meal even though the 'allergy' receipt was on the tray and clearly and accurately recorded her allergens (Group A!). She recognised it and I gave her her epipen before even hitting the nurse call button. As she was on IV and with bedrails, I don't like to think what may have happened had I not been there as we'd never thought that the epipen needed to be in reach of her bed. I know nurses are busy and they can't always answer the call button with the urgency a reaction requires

At the other (Group B), they twice served her meal with dairy milk as the beverage, despite the ordering system recording allergens. The nurses confirmed her allergens were properly recorded, and showed me. Needless to say, she didn't consume any of the hospital's meals and we took precautions to label and double-wrap her meals from home in the kitchen on the ward

I'm sharing because my heart is broken thinking of that boy and his family. Maybe our experiences can help others if ever in the same situation.

It is hard to plan when under stressful circumstances.

Deviation from routine makes it easy to miss regular risk mitigations.

It is easier under some circumstances to trust institutions.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:43 am 

This is heartbreaking.

It is almost incomprehensible to me that the place where we would normally rush our children to, after an allergic reaction, was the place that this boy died.

renie, thanks for sharing your experience. I think if my DD is ever hospitalized, I will make sure to bring food from home. Our hospital contracts out food services so there wouldn't even be anyone that I could talk to at the hospital!