Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Nightmares
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

I am so glad that you were able to gain control over this!

Thank you for sharing with us, I am sure that you have helped some on this board.

Have a great holiday, you deserve it! :thanksign

Me: Oral Allergy Syndrome, Allergic to Birch trees

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:57 pm 

spacecanada, I'm so happy to hear that you are healing and doing so well! Thank you for sharing. Enjoy your holiday with your mind and body in a more peaceful place :)

16 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, egg, fish, sesame,sunflower,mustard,poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid legumes(except soy & green beans),pollen, cats, horses, cold urticaria

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:45 pm 

Update: I went for a ride along with the fire department in the City yesterday. Oddly enough, in the six hours I was there they didn't get any calls! (That's rare.) Will try again in a few weeks - hopefully on a busier night. Still benefited from it though, as the more time I spend at the fire hall and around fire trucks, the less distorted my anxiety becomes. (Fire trucks with lights and sirens are still a trigger.)

Turns out the City lost a fire fighter to suicide due to PTSD last year and have a big campaign going on now to make their crews aware of the symptoms and treatments. They are using my story to raise awareness, which is kind of neat.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:23 am 

Spacecanada,

I saw this posted on Anaphylaxis Canada's Facebook page today. Did you see it? It's a well-written article that I'm sure many will identify with.

http://adultswithallergies.com/2015/06/ ... -at-lunch/

Hope life is treating you well!

16 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, egg, fish, sesame,sunflower,mustard,poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid legumes(except soy & green beans),pollen, cats, horses, cold urticaria

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:39 pm 

Yes, I read that article, and thanks of thinking of me. :) I completely relate to the adult tantrum... I had a huge meltdown on the last day of our Walt Disney World vacation last November - I was tired, saw one of my PTSD triggers, and completely shut down in front of a chef who was trying to help me. Thankfully, he kept his cool and made me a safe meal (with dessert!) and turned my day around.

I still live with anxiety around food and occasionally get PTSD symptoms, but they are much more manageable and I can handle them better. I have added PTSD to my MedicAlert file because it's something I will have to live with for the rest of my life; there are some triggers that cannot be safely nullified. (i.e. nuts in close proximity to me)

One thing I wish this article, and several others, would mention is to seek the help of a qualified psychologist (which may be difficult to find when it comes to one who understands food allergies). It's not something you have to deal with or figure out on your own. Psychologists have programs, tools, and skills that can help you deal with these anxieties, PTSD, and just how to cope with living with real life-threatening danger every day.