Talking Allergies
http://talkingallergies.allergicliving.com/

kiwi allergy
http://talkingallergies.allergicliving.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5854
Page 1 of 1

Author:  jomatt [ Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:22 pm ]
Post subject:  kiwi allergy

does any body have any first hand experience with kiwi allergies ?

Thanks

Author:  Alison's Mom [ Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: kiwi allergy

My DS reacted to kiwi in a fruit salad when he was almost 2 (all other fruits were ones he'd eaten before and since then with no problems). The reaction was hives on the face and down his neck. We have avoided it, and kept it out of our house since. At the next allergist's appointment, he was skin tested with a fresh kiwi that I was asked to bring in. The wheal was the same size as his egg wheal. We did nuts/peanuts via RAST, so we couldn't compare to those, but the doctor thought the allergy was moderate in severity.

Author:  Juliette'smom [ Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:50 am ]
Post subject:  Re: kiwi allergy

My daughter reacted on contact to kiwi when she was 1. Fast forward she is now 7 and we did a food challenge. She ate the whole kiwi and said it tasted funny. Nothing else. The next day she had 1/2 of a kiwi. Had swelling in her mouth full body itching and hives patches of hives and epinephrine. So she is allergic.
I don't know much about where kiwi hides in foods other than juice.
What is your experience with kiwi? I would like to know more. Thanks

Author:  Alison's Mom [ Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: kiwi allergy

Hi there!

Interesting about your daughter's kiwi challenge, and then reacting the next day. I'm actually pretty lax about kiwi. There are no precautionary labels for kiwi, and I will check juice, smoothie, freezie etc labels for kiwi, but I don't call companies about cross contamination like I do for PN and TN. He hasn't reacted to kiwi since that first time. We have a fruit and veggie program at school and kiwi has been given out. I just asked the teacher to have the kids wash hands after eating it, and we haven't had any problems. It's possible he's outgrown it, but because it doesn't really affect our lives much, I haven't bothered to test him. We still carry autoinjectors for the other allergies.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 4 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/