Talking Allergies
http://talkingallergies.allergicliving.com/

Mosquito Allergy
http://talkingallergies.allergicliving.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3639
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Fiona [ Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Mosquito Allergy

Does anyone know how bad a Mosquito allergy can get? My 3 year-old son has always had relatively large swellings from mosquito bites, but the last two weekends have been just crazy. He got one bite on his forehead and the entire left side of his face swelled up - his eye could barly open and he actually looked bruised beneath his eye and splotchy red and swollen all over his cheek. The poor soul look like Quasimoto. He got a second bite on his stomach and that site (which I think would be much less sensitive) swelled up to a large red circle (about a 5 inch diametre). Another bite from a previous weekend swelled his finger up so much that he couldn't bend it.

Each time, I give him oral benedryl and rub cortisone cream on it, but the severe swellings last for at least 3 days. My question is - how normal is this? Can this keep getting worse? He has had anaphylactic reactions to food before and his father is anaphylactic to horse flies and deer flies bites. We try to spend every weekend at the cottage, so we cover my son in DEET and just bought a mosquito killing machine (which I hate to do to the environment :( ), but I can't stand to see my son suffering like this. Anyone else experienced this?

Author:  Momofhalfadozen [ Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:24 pm ]
Post subject: 

I know they can get really bad. My 3 yearold I will no let out in the evening. Last year she got a bit on her arm and couldn't move her elbow. It swelled up to the size of a pingpong ball. Each time it seemed to get worse. So the rule for her is see a mosqueto you come in.

Author:  Julie [ Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

My daughter, without any allergies, REALLY reacts to mosquito bites too! Her bites swell up tremendously. This past weekend, she got a mosquito bite in our relatives backyard, and the swelling and redness was 2.5 inches wide (I know this because it just so happens we measured it this weekend because we just can't get over how large the swellings are). We basically avoid places where there might be mosquitoes. I really don't like to use bug spray, but if we have absolutely no choice, we will use it on her, but we've only used it a handful of times. Our doctor's advice is to not scratch (impossible for a child, I think), and to use benadryl. If the child simply cannot avoid scratching, our doctor suggested making sure hands are always very clean to avoid infection, or even putting a bandaid over the bite itself so the bite area will not open. The swelling will last a few days, up to a week. It's been 2 days since our daughter was bitten, and there is still some swelling and redness, but it's better than it was.

Author:  _Susan_ [ Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:05 pm ]
Post subject: 

We have been using AfterBite on our daughter forher mosquito bites. it does a great job releiving the itch.

If my spouse has anaphylaxis reactions to insect bites and she reacted as yours does, I would consult the allergist.

Regardless of whether an allergy has been determined, if you or your child is reacting to siomething and the reactions seems to follow the anaphylaxis symptoms, use your Epi-Pen.

Remember that epinephrine will not hurt a healthy person.

Author:  boysmom [ Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:13 pm ]
Post subject:  mosquito bites

I do not know how bad they can get. I just know what worked for us. My son would swell up mildly to medium. the worst was that he would itch for days and nothing seemed to to last. My mom suggested cloritriplon for kids, which they no longer make, since she used it with my brother under a doctors advice. I used reactin for kids. I gave it to him at the recommended dose for three days then gave him nothing for a week then gave him the recommended dose for three days again. I did this for four weeks. It helped a lot. The itching can now be stopped and he doesn't swell as bad. It seemed to boost his immune system as other allergies are not as bad. I did this last summer and I can see that the effect still has helped him this summer. Good Luck!

Author:  Alison's Mom [ Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:48 am ]
Post subject: 

Just thought I'd pipe in. . . I have always been sensitive to mosquitoes and other insects especially when I'm in a tropical climate. I had two major incidents - one in Mexico and one in Hawaii, where I had lots of bites and many of them swelled up to the size of a tennis ball, and were really itchy, swollen, and hot. It took several days for the swelling to disappear, and even then, there was a dark reddish discolouration that lasted a few months. I've had several more minor incidents with only a few bites, but again they swelled up way more than anyone else's bites.

Anyway, I seem to be OK with local insects, but do have seasonal hayfever and had a mild seafood allergy.

What I've found has worked is to make a paste using baking soda and a little water (or baking soda toothpaste) and rub it onto the bite. When I've done this right away, the swelling has been much less.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 4 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/