You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:25 am 
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:17 pm
Posts: 6616
Location: Ottawa
If you can eat sugar, you can eat this candy!
Rock Candy
Measuring cup and spoon
Large heavy metal sauce pan
Long wooden stirring spoon
Clean glass jar (a tall, sturdy one such as a pint or quart canning jar, mayonnaise jar or pickle jar)
Piece of cotton string (clean!)
Popsicle stick, pencil, or skewer
Paper clip
Thick pot holders
Candy thermometer
These ingredients:
1 cup water
2 cups of granulated sugar
A few drops of your favorite candy flavoring such as peppermint, cherry or lemon, more drops = stronger flavor (optional)
A few drops of food coloring, more drops = darker color (optional)
1. Tie one end of the piece of string around the middle of the stick or pencil. Cut the string, if necessary, so that it is a little shorter than your jar.
2. Moisten the string with a little water and roll it in the sugar. Put the paper clip on the end of the string to help it hang straight down. Lay the stick over the top of the glass jar so that the string hangs down inside the jar. The end of the string should not touch the bottom of the jar.
3. Cook the candy mixture. (Here's where you need an adult to help when making with a kid!)
a. Put the cup of water into the sauce pan and heat until it boils.
b. Add 2 cups of sugar to the boiling water while stirring. Keep stirring until the sugar dissolves. (If you have a candy thermometer the temperature of the sugar water should reach 240 degrees Fahrenheit.)
c. Remove pan from heat. If you want to add flavoring or color, stir it in now.
d. Pour the hot mixture into the jar.
4. Let the sugar water sit for a few days where no one will bother it. The crystals will begin to form along the string in a few hours. Let them grow for 3 to 10 days (or more). There are two things that will make the largest crystals:
a. Making a thick sugar water mixture (Be sure you put in the whole 2 cups of sugar, or even a little more.)
b. Letting them grow for more days
5. When you're ready to eat the rock candy, take the candy-covered string out of the jar. Break the pieces apart and enjoy. Store left-over candy in a covered container.

Daughter: asthma, allergies to egg, milk, peanuts, tree nuts, most legumes (not soy and green beans) & penicillin. Developing hayfever type allergies.
Husband: no allergies
Me: Oral Allergy Syndrome, Allergic to Birch trees

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group