You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Where is Everybody?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:20 am 

I guess I'm old school and never really got into facebook, but I'm assuming all the old regular posters now are using the Allergic Living facebook page rather than this forum? Maybe I'm going to have to change my ways?

Post subject: Re: Where is Everybody?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:49 am 
Site Admin

I'm here!
Sorry for not posting often.
Yes many people are on Facebook.
No excuse though.

Me: Oral Allergy Syndrome, Allergic to Birch trees

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:38 am 

Hi Susan,

Yes I still see you posting often. Hope all is well with you!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:20 pm 

Soccermom, I've wondered the same thing... I miss everybody posting here! I'm assuming the various Facebook groups have drawn people away. I'm on Facebook and have joined several of the chat groups, but I have always preferred Allergic Living's forum - I prefer the format and in-depth sharing of information. I haven't visited the Allergic Living Facebook page often, so maybe more visitor's are there? I've always enjoyed and am so grateful for this Forum. In my early days in 2005, 2 years following my son's diagnosis of multiple food allergies, the Allergic Living Forum was my lifeline. We formed such a supportive community, so I do miss it. I keep checking back, and still read everything that passes through. I hope to continue to see people posting here, but I will also check the Facebook page to see if our group is there as well! ... Julie

15 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, egg, fish, sesame,sunflower,mustard,poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid legumes(except soy & green beans),pollen, cats, horses, cold urticaria

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:14 am 

Hi Julie! I hope life is easier now for your son. I do know for me that I have settled into an easier pattern of living once everything became more automatic. Vacations still make me feel unsettled but I've learned a lot of coping techniques from this site. Wishing you all the best!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:12 pm 

Hey Soccer Mom & all
I am on FB but not with AL (and try to keep FB to a dull roar)
I have monitored AL forums but have also seen the drop and miss the conversations - even when we were challenging each other!
I'm sure social media is part of it... and I guess I assumed that most of the conversation has been around areas that I am not monitoring (ie transitioning to school, day care or 'not our allergens' etc)
Is anyone up for regional old-skool, in person events? Or does streamlining topics make sense?
other ideas?
miss you guys!
(also just had two wildly different air canada experiences despite their posted policies - crazy!)

wishing everyone safety always - but especially the changes that come with back to school for all ages!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:51 am 

Hi Renie, so nice to hear from you. I do agree with you; I think many people have several social media "commitments". I know my kids scroll through reddit or such sites daily, much in the way I read the newspaper every day. "Old fashioned paper media--what's that!?" I am so thankful our AL magazine is still alive and well. So many of my favourite magazines have ceased publishing over the years (often just after I have renewed for another year!!)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:58 pm 

Hello everyone,
So nice to hear from you! I'm still checking our board, so it's nice to hear others are as well! We just came back from a 2 night vacation, and we've managed another successful trip, but it stills challenges our family. It's always a relief to end on a positive note and to see that our strategies have worked. But, it's not easy, and we don't fly. Renie, I would like to hear about your Air Canada experience. It's so hit and miss with situations that feel out of our hands and not completely predictable.

Hope to continue hearing from you!

Julie

15 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, egg, fish, sesame,sunflower,mustard,poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid legumes(except soy & green beans),pollen, cats, horses, cold urticaria

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:32 pm 

Hi everyone,

I'm still here too and check the boards weekly when I can. I started work as a travel agent (for people with food allergies!) and that has kept me pretty bogged down at the computer most days as I'm still learning so much.

I follow some groups on Facebook but prefer forums too. We need to keep this forum alive! Share our tips, stories, challenges, new brands, etc.

I, for one, just discovered Fresh Slice pizza! It's a little chain that's close to my new house and it's safe for me! They have a nice allergen chart too.

Keep in touch everyone!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:50 am 
Site Admin

Folks, while it's true the Facebook page has become our busier social media – at 82,000+ followers - we appreciate that there's a personal feel to posting on this Forum. So we're happy to keep it going, and glad to see a lot of you here.

There are still newbies too. Some just read rather than post, but that's OK. They do find your posts helpful.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:28 pm 

AH! I clearly haven't been on since that last post....

About Air Canada - we went to Vancouver in August for two weeks... not so brief summary of key things below... it's off topic but where Julie asked about the experience.... Julie thought of PM'ing you but would actually love if others chime in...

The one thing that was consistent and greatly appreciated was at both gates, on explaining our family's situation, we were greeted with courtesy and respect and allowed to pre-board so that we could go through our cleaning routine

In Toronto, the gate clearly informed the flight crew and the flight crew were very attentive. They confirmed our allergens (they had taken note from the gate crew but wanted to be certain) and made it clear they were all willing to help and wanted us to feel comfortable.
They asked us to let them know if we encountered any challenges and they said they'd force a reseating situation should any issues arise (not an easy offer on a fully booked aircraft!)
They strongly recommended that neither child sit in the aisle (good call given the passengers that walk the aisles with treenut containing cookies and other allergens...)
Without us asking, they informed passengers in the rows in front & behind us as well as the three rows across the aisle about our allergens and requested that they completely refrain from consuming any allergens for the duration of the flight.
They were very mindful when serving foods - including reminding people of the allergens when they ordered.
It was a blissful flight!

In contrast, when we were heading home, we were still pleased with the experience at the gate (although there was far more crowd judgement about us pre-boarding...), the crew were disinterested and annoyed. When we informed them on boarding, we were told to instruct a different attendant.
The attendant turned out to be new. I am hoping very new as she had never ever encountered anaphylactic / allergic passengers and was very honest that she didn't know the policies or any protocols. While we appreciated the honesty, it was an uncomfortable conversation to have in front of both kids. She then turned to another attendant and asked for guidance. That attendant was not an aller-pal of any variety. She was loud and clearly annoyed. She informed the new attendant that while they used to request a buffer zone for peanuts, now they just make sure the passenger has an epipen and if they don't that the passenger should be de-boarded.
Hearing this conversation, I pulled up the Air Canada website on my phone. I calmly explained about our experience two weeks prior and shared the policy... Reluctantly, the crew suggested to the people in the rows in front of us and behind to consider refraining from consuming peanuts (no mention of treenuts). Of course they sold the allergens to the rows surrounding us.
The sad thing is, the limited accommodation on our return flight was done with what I would have to characterise as annoyance and reluctance. If I were new to air travel, or not accustomed to having to advocate, it could have been even less pleasant.
The bright side of that flight, when another passenger started to have peanut M&Ms within two feet of the kids, the person sitting near noted our discomfort and actually very politely reminded her about our allergens. She managed the situation for us with more grace and tact than I would have done in my stressed out state.

On a total side note (and soap box that you might expect from me) it was very interesting to me that the whole situation was way more uncomfortable for my son - he's much more used to the sense of peanut/treenut free & awareness.
He's not used to being around his allergens.
He was caught off guard by the lack of sensitivity.
In contrast, my daughter is used to people "not getting it" and is frequently around her allergens which pose no less threat ...

I know thresholds and tolerances are different for all of us but it was one of those moments where I can see that in our case, my daughter is ahead as she has never had the luxury of people understanding and her allergens are everywhere, all the time, so the focus has always been on assessing & mitigating risk while learning to embrace life. I can see as a result that she is better prepared for less controlled environments. So yup, time to work on this with the boy!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:55 am 

Renie,

What a disappointment that there would be so much inconsistency within the same company. Basically it all just boils down to common decency toward our fellow man. And that one passenger who advocated on your behalf certainly had way more than some of the staff, whose job is customer service!

Soccermom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:50 pm 

Wow, thanks for sharing, Renie! I'm sorry to hear your son felt so uncomfortable. (I'd feel the same way.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:38 pm 

Renie, Wow, that is really something to hear. Thank goodness everyone was okay. I'm sorry you had to end your trip this way. Your trip experience certainly illustrates the vast inconsistencies in attitude and protocol within the same company. It is wonderful to hear of your superior experience heading outbound, and very disappointing that the trip home was quite different. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. The problem with air travel is that, unlike a restaurant or hotel, where if you feel someone doesn't understand, you can choose to go elsewhere, with air travel, we are not in a position to simply "walk away". We pretty much have to get on that plane, even if we feel not quite comfortable. Or not comfortable at all! It's a vulnerable place to be, and it's tough (and painful!) to feel that we are an "inconvenience". It's disappointing to hear of situations and people that have so little compassion. Surely, a helpful approach is always the better way! I'm glad you experienced that on the way out on your trip so that you could relax and have a nice holiday. It would have been very stressful if the flights had been reversed because then you would be very concerned about the flight home. Thanks again for sharing.