You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Canada to US?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:26 am 

Did I miss something? My winter 2017 magazine was published in Toronto and the allergists in Ask the Allergist were Canadian. The spring 2018 issue was published in the states, and the allergists are American. Will we no longer be getting a Canadian magazine?

Post subject: Re: Canada to US?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:48 pm 

I noticed the same thing when I received my recent issue. I hope the Canadian edition (the original!) will continue. I have been receiving Allergic Living since its inception in 2005, and have been a loyal subscriber for the past 13 years. Honestly, I would be very disappointed to lose our Canadian-based content. I hope this was just a "view" of the American version of Allergic Living. I definitely don't want to lose the Canadian version!!!

16 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, egg, fish, sesame,sunflower,mustard,poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid legumes(except soy & green beans),pollen, cats, horses, cold urticaria

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:21 pm 

I noticed it too, with an advertisement for Auvi-Q. I thought it was really strange and out of place, considering I've always had a Canadian version before. I don't want to lose our Canadian version, either!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hi folks,

We're doing one North America-wide issue now. Despite a small and valued base of loyal Canadian subscribers, advertising support in Canada (which never was substantial), dwindled. So we could simply not justify the very high cost of a separate Canadian edition.

In good news though, you will continue to see plenty of Canadians quoted in the magazine and we still regularly cover Canadian research.
Also, we have shifted more resources into the website, which is growing quickly. You'll see more and better news coverage there.

The publishing business continues to evolve in the internet age, and one has to be smart about the use of limited resources. We remain dedicated to serving all of our subscribers well. And we truly appreciate the support of our longtime readers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:21 am 

Thanks for explaining the situation, Gwen. As much as I would prefer a strictly Canadian magazine, I would rather receive a blended version than have it disappear altogether. Having watched many of my favourite magazines cease publication over the years, I am grateful you found a solution that allowed Allergic Living to continue on. Keep up the great work. We all really appreciate what you and the magazine do for the allergic community!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:31 pm 

Thank you, Gwen, for providing an update.

Allergic Living has been an incredible resource for us. We have been loyal readers since your very first issue in 2005!

I have one question: is it possible to provide a combined "Top 11 Allergens" in the material? Our son has multiple food allergies, several in the "Top 8", and 2 in the"Top 11" (sesame and mustard). I certainly miss hearing of products available in Canada that mention all 11 of the top allergens. I understand these are not priority allergens in the U.S.; however, because the North American version includes Canada, it would be wonderful to see this information.

Thank you again.

Julie

16 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, egg, fish, sesame,sunflower,mustard,poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid legumes(except soy & green beans),pollen, cats, horses, cold urticaria

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:09 pm 
Site Admin

We still look for sesame-free products and our recipes are "top 9" free too.
Re mustard, a lot of our safe products are baked goodies, snacks, so not a frequent ingredient.