Talking Allergies
http://talkingallergies.allergicliving.com/

Question
http://talkingallergies.allergicliving.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5963
Page 1 of 1

Author:  teacher101 [ Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Question

My son had an allergic reaction (quite severe) to peanut butter about 4 weeks ago. Today we saw a pediatric allergist, who did a scratch test on him for tree nuts and peanuts. He tested negative. She said we should still be concerned, and act as though he is allergic. She also is sending us for a blood test. Has anyone else had a PA toddler, who does not react to scratch test?
Thanks in advance!

Author:  _Susan_ [ Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Question

Was it a brand new jar of peanut butter? Could it have been contaminated by anything? Could it be an ingredient other than peanuts/tree nuts (most peanut butters are not 100% ground peanuts). If the peanut butter was consummed as a sandwich, could it have been the bread?

If he had a severe reaction, I would play it safe until you know what your dealing with. The gold standard is if you react when ingesting, then you are allergic. Tests can have false positives or negatives. Presumably, this is why the allergist is doing a RAST (blood test).

Glad you are seeing an allergist. So much has come to light in the past few years that it's hard to keep up.

Author:  Becky [ Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Question

Was the test done with actual PB or with the watery solution? My DS is highly allergic on skin tests & blood tests, but the PB test didn't react. The nurse was new, and the allergist said that it sometimes sits on the skin and multiple or slightly deeper scratches are needed.

Author:  AnnaMarie [ Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Question

In my family we often test negative. I tested negative even after having an anaphylactic reaction. My youngest tested negative to scratch tests the first time, but the second time, the allergist was shocked at how big the hive was from the scratch tests.

my granddaughter also tested negative, but the allergist said to treat as if allergic and carry an epi pen. She reacted (mildly) when she had accidental exposures...eating it or even touching.

Author:  BC2007 [ Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Question

Welcome teacher 101 :huggy

I agree with the all the posts and would also say to trust you instincts and trust the reactions. Our son has been tested very frequently over the past 2 1/2 years. After having had anaphylactic reactions to many foods most did have neg. s.p.'s at first. Some took 6 weeks to show positive and others took 1 1/2 years to finally show positive. Yet the common factor was he would react (to accidental exposure of course) violently with anaphylactic symptoms to those same foods the entire time. Just as other posters have said once the skin pricks finally did show positive they wheals were huge.

Trust the reaction. It isn't worth taking a chance. If s.p.'s continue to be negative, rast negative then your allergist may decide to do an oral challenge to confirm if it was in fact a reaction to peanuts or as Susan mentioned maybe another source. In the meantime be safe and avoid the foods your allergist suggested.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 4 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/