Talking Allergies
http://talkingallergies.allergicliving.com/

New to Peanut Allergy
http://talkingallergies.allergicliving.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=386
Page 1 of 3

Author:  laurensmom [ Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:38 pm ]
Post subject:  New to Peanut Allergy

I've had allergies all my life...allergic to just about everything environmental, pets, milk. So, I wasn't a surprise when I took my daughter for allergy tests yesterday to find out she had environmental and pet allergies. Was happy when she didn't have milk allergies. Unfortunately, the one she reacted most to was peanuts. I've never had to deal with this allergy.
She has come in contact with peanuts 3 times over the past 3 years. She has never liked the smell of peanut butter so she never had it. When she did give it a try, she broke out in hives around her neck but they disappeared quickly. Second time was an accident. She had a peanut butter egg at Easter. She didnt' know it was peanut butter. Within about 15 minutes she was throwing up violently. Took her to my family doctor who said vomiting is not a sign of an allergy. So, I took it that she just had a sensitive stomach and sense of smell because my husband is the same way. Last Halloween she ate some Reese's Pieces thinking they were Smarties. Within 2 minutes she was throwing up. Thought it was just because she didn't like the taste. We keep peanut butter in the house and she hasn't had a problem. WE don't check labels on other snack products.

So, when I asked them to add peanuts to the tests yesterday I really didn't think it would come up positive.

Question: In anybody's experience with peanut allergies, is it an allergy that progresses? Wil each exposure result in a worse reaction? Or is it a different reaction everytime? Does it progress in that at one point it takes actually eating something with peanuts in it to being an air-borne type allergy?

Are there any books, information sources that anybody would recommend?

Author:  Helen [ Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: New to Peanut Allergy

laurensmom wrote:

Took her to my family doctor who said vomiting is not a sign of an allergy.


I think this is an older misconception. Now vomiting is *definitely* recognized as a sign of an allergy.

Author:  saskmommyof3 [ Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:21 pm ]
Post subject:  peanut allergy

My husband was allergic to peanuts as a child. He outgrew it. He also outgrew milk. Still allergic to fish, eggs and tree nuts (but not cashews or pistachios). Also environmental stuff too.

I freak out :evil: if he wants to eat cashews though...cross contamination.

Author:  i hate nuts [ Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:35 am ]
Post subject: 

Vomiting is for sure a sign, he should go back to school! :shock: My allergist said that the allergic reactions could be cumulative, or not. That it could be a different reaction each time. My daughters one and only (knock on wood) direct contact with peanut butter resulted in a trip to the er - hives, sneezing, runny eyes, etc. but one easter she ate a milk chocolate egg that was supposed to be peanut free and instantly vomitted.

In regardst to it progressing sensitivity-wise, it going to an airborne sensitivity I don't know the answer to that, maybe after multiple reactions?

As for resources, read on here as a start. This is an amazing board, the information you can get here is priceless and EVERYBODY understands where you're coming from, its a wonderful support group as well.

These are the sites I frequent as well:

http://www.calgaryallergy.ca

http://www.safe4kids.ca

http://www.anaphylaxis.org/

Author:  laurensmom [ Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:53 am ]
Post subject: 

Thank you all for your responses.

One more question....at what point do you need to use the Epi-Pen? If they are vomiting, is that a good sign since they are getting rid of the offensive food?

Author:  Helen [ Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:20 am ]
Post subject: 

with the epipen the rule is better safe than sorry. if you are diagnosed with a severe allergy (as your daughter has been) you are supposed to give it at the first sign of an allergic reaction and then call the ambulance. i'd definitely recommend discussing this with your allergist. i'm not clear on why this is not explained to allergic patients who are nearly diagnosed, but i guess that's why we really need this forum!

Author:  Helen [ Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:22 am ]
Post subject: 

just realized i didn't exactly answer your question---i believe that vomiting is one of the body's defense mechanisms. i would imagine that it would be a good thing to have less of the protein absorbed into the body, but it takes so little that you still need to take emergency action.

Author:  saskmommyof3 [ Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:16 am ]
Post subject:  when to use epi-pen

My doctor recommended if its on the outside (hives, outside swelling ) use benadryll
If its on the inside...epi-pen

As far as vomiting... I think that if they throw up the allergic food thats a good thing. Also they might not keep the benadryll down. I'm seeing my allergy doctor soon. I was planning on discussing the vomiting issue already.

Author:  laurensmom [ Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:19 am ]
Post subject: 

Thanks..that helps a great deal. We didn't go to an allergist...we went to someone who specializes in breathing issues. I just happen to ask them to add peanuts to the tests. So, now I have to wait to be referred to an allergist. We all know how long that takes!! haha.

For now, I'm just doing all the reading I can. I like to use these forums to get 'real' people's experiences and knowledge as oppose to textbook definitions and explanations!

Thanks again.

Author:  i hate nuts [ Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:59 pm ]
Post subject: 

Someone posted on here earlier this year, after attending the Allergy Expo, that an allergist there said that if you see two or more signs to administer the pen. That's what I've put in my brain, makes sense to me. BUT keep in mind that even if you unnecessarily administer the epipen, its not harmful, err on the side of caution for sure.

Author:  ethansmom [ Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:00 am ]
Post subject: 

laurensmom,
I know when my son was first diagnosed with his peanut allergy, the Anaphalaxis Canada website provided a wealth of information at a time when I knew very little. (I think someone else has already suggested their website) My learning curve was very steep in the beginning and I'm still learning -- The first book I picked up on the subject was The Peanut Allergy Answer Book by Michael C. Young. http://images.amazon.com/images/P/19314 ... ZZZZZZ.jpg
It's 99 pages long and provides a good overview -- not overly complex and deals with peanut allergy in layman's terms. This forum has also helped me tremendously. You learn so much from other's experiences, questions and responses (for example, I learned a lot about product labelling!!). I know once you have the time to peruse this forum, you'll come away feeling much better and more empowered. I found that the more I read, the more questions popped up -- I suggest making a list of these questions and bringing them along to your first appointment with your child's allergist. I know that when my son was first diagnosed, I really wanted to be able to connect with other parents who could relate to my fears/worries/concerns but also help educate me -- this forum has served that purpose for me -- it's comforting to know that you're not facing this alone.

Author:  katec [ Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

I can't believe the response of the doctor!!! When my daughter was having severe reactions to milk at 9 months and I asked about an epipen my family doctor responded by saying that "no one is anaphylactic to milk." I knew differenlty and got a referral to SIck Kids where we found out that our daughter was not only allergic to milk but eggs and peanuts too.

I would highly recommend The Complete Kid's Allergy and Asthma Guide. It was written by the staff at Sick Kids.

In terms of predictability and allergies, everything we have read and learned from our doctors tells us that there is no way to predict how someone will react the next time they encounter their allergen.

Before your allergist appointment, you can pick up an epipen over the counter to have just incase.

Author:  Helen [ Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:14 pm ]
Post subject: 

katec wrote:
When my daughter was having severe reactions to milk at 9 months and I asked about an epipen my family doctor responded by saying that "no one is anaphylactic to milk."
:!: :!: :!: It's a good thing that you knew better! I guess this just goes to show how much we really need to research our health issues on our own as well as seeking reliable medical advice.

Author:  laurensmom [ Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:47 am ]
Post subject: 

As my daughter has never like the smell or taste of peanuts, she just hasn't eaten them. I have never checked labels and she eats Tim Horton products without any problem. Now that I know she's allergic to peanuts, I wonder just how important it is to start checking labels, etc.

Author:  katec [ Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:24 am ]
Post subject: 

Until you see the allergist, I would say that it would be very important to check labels. Maybe you have just been lucky at Tim Hortons and your daughter has not eaten anything with a trace of peanuts. You don't want to take chances with your daughter's health. I hope you are able to see the allergist soon. Then you will be able to get more information and a definitive diagnosis.

Page 1 of 3 All times are UTC - 4 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/