You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Moving to Victoria, BC
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:07 am 

We were in Victoria two weekends ago and were able to find many of our allergy-friendly staples at various grocery stores. (We even made Screamin Brothers sundaes with Camino chocolate chips - yay!)

Next week, we're moving there for good and wonder if anyone here has resources that may be helpful: PN/TN-free bakery (bonus points if it is free of dairy and potatoes too), accommodating restaurants, etc. Or cautions and places to avoid?

Much appreciated!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:06 am 

Sorry, it's been a long time since I lived there, so I can't give you any allergy advice. However, I can say, you will love living there! It is such a wonderful city, and so beautiful. Wishing you all the best with your move, and hope you have a fantastic experience there. Good luck with everything!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:31 pm 

After being here for a year and a half, we're well settled in. We haven't found anywhere safe to eat out. Well, we thought we did, but a resulting ambulance ride proved otherwise. Needless to say, I'm scared to try anywhere new now. Homemade food is good! Our local Superstore has many safe goodies, including Enjoy Life pancake mix and halloween chocolates. Market on Millstream has Screamin Brothers frozen treat too. Yummy!

We're luck enough to live less than an hour's drive from Libre Naturals and love theme even more now that we can get chocolate chips in summertime. (Only available for pick up in summer.)

The one thing we haven't been able to get here: shredded coconut! We have a friend back in Alberta ship us safe shredded coconut a few times per year. (One store has it but it's really far away from us.)

Anyway, if anyone is travelling to Victoria (or area) let me know and I'd love to help you. Many restaurants are supposed to be good with allergies, just not the one we tried.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:01 pm 

spacecanada, good to hear your update! Glad you're settled in. Sorry about your ambulance ride following a restaurant disappointment. We're in the same boat with our 15 year old son... he eats every morsel of food made at home, but he is a happy, healthy guy... so many amazing food options available to prepare at home! Hope you continue to enjoy living out west!

16 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, egg, fish, sesame,sunflower,mustard,poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid legumes(except soy & green beans),pollen, cats, horses, cold urticaria