You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:47 am 

This summer when we flew to Germany for a short vacation, I brought along a stack of allergy cards for family members, basically business cards with allergy lists printed in German for each family member. When our server would arrive with the menu, I would explain our allergies and hand over the cards, which they would then bring to the chef in the kitchen. We were fortunate to dine at a couple of very allergy savvy restaurants who coped very well, altering the items on the menu to suit our needs. We were very impressed with one of our servers who knew right away that my daughter could not have her Schnitzel breaded as usual because the bread crumbs were provided by a bakery, where there could be peanut cross-contamination, and not made on the premises - so the Schnitzel was prepared unbreaded with a delicious mushroom cream sauce on the side instead.

Although we did dine out a few times, I have to say that it was invaluable to have an excellent grocery store a short walk from our hotel, so we were able to assemble our own meals. When choosing a hotel, I always plan on being close to a grocery store!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:55 pm 
Site Admin

Great to hear about such a successful trip. And thanks for sharing your planning tips.